Town Directories

directoryDirectories provide first hand data about local communities, their infrastructure and the individuals inhabiting those communities.

Published more frequently than the census, directories can also help you fill in any missing gaps.

They contain descriptions of places, local facilities, local facilities, institutions and associations, resident, trades and professions, and important people.

From the 17th century, directories met the growing demand for accurate information about trade and industry. Data was collected either by personal canvassing combined with existing listings or people were asked to supply details.

By the early nineteenth century methods of compilation had become more organised. In part, this reflected the growing links between directories and the Post Office. Many postal officials, such as Frederick Kelly, turned their hand to directory publishing as a means of both aiding their work and making some extra money. Information was collected by letter carriers, who circulated forms during their postal rounds, and also delivered the finished directory on commission..

In the 20th century over 250 were published each year, the peak year being 1936, with around 320 directories appearing. But a decline came after World War II as many publishers went out of business. With the advent of the telephone large-scale directory production and usage ended.

Kelly's Directory of Norfolk 1875

GREAT SNORING is a parish, about 3 1/2 miles north-by-east from Fakenham station, and 2 south from Walsingham station, situated on the road from Fakenham to Wells, in the Northern division of the county, North Greenhoe hundred, Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Walsingham, and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich.

The church of St. Mary the Virgin is an old Gothic building, and has a fine square tower containing 1 bell: it has some stone stalls, and contains several monuments and a handsome mural tablet to the late Rev. Christopher Stannard, B.D., fellow of St. John’s College, Cambridge, many years Rector of this parish.

The register dates from the year 1560.

The living is a Rectory, with that of Thursford annexed, joint yearly value £584 with residence, in the gift of the Master and Fellows of St. John’s College, Cambridge, and held by the Rev. George Henry Marsh, B.D., formerly fellow of that college; the Rev. George Bell, B.A., is curate in charge.

The Rectory House is a fine specimen of ornamental brickwork, and was built by Sir Ralph Shelton, and has been considerably enlarged and beautified by the present rector, and its elaborated south front in part restored.

The Walsingham Union House is situated in this parish. Here is a Parochial mixed school, almost entirely supported by the incumbent. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship here.

The charities are Pearson’s, of £14 yearly for bread, and Alvis’s of £6 5s. Messrs. Paine and Brettall, of Chertsey, who are lords of the manor, and the Rev, H. D. Lee-Warner, of Walsingham Abbey, are the principal landowners.

The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The land is cultivated on the usual four-course system. The area is 1,645 acres; rateable value, £3,535; the population in 1871 was 598, inclusive of the inmates of the Walslngham Union House.

Parish Clerk, John Francis.

POST OFFICE.— Christopher Mallett, receiver. Letters are received through Fakenham. The nearest money order office is at Walsingham.

Walsingham Union House, William South, master; Mrs. South, matron
Elementary School, Christopher Mallett, master
Rectory, Bell Rev. Geo. B.A. [curate],
Leeder Miss
Cottage, Stannard Mrs.

Adams Edward
Deane Henry
Bushell Jonas & Sons
engineers & machine makers
Cook David
Cook George
machine maker
Dawson William
plumber & painter
Docking Mary Ann (Mrs.)
Hall James (exors. of)
Hill William
Lack Robert
Unicorn, & farmer
Lack Robert
shoe maker
Mallett Christopher
assistant overseer
Norman John
Perowne Benjamin
farmer & brick &c. maker; & at Barney
Perowne Benjamin, Jun.
Savage Henry
shopkeeper & farmer
Southgate John
horse breaker
Southgate Robert
Tuns, & coach bldr
Southgate Esther (Mrs.)
Southgate William
horse breaker
Tuck Isaac

LITTLE SNORING is a parish, about 3 miles east-north-east from Fakeaham station, on the road from Fakenham to Wells, in the Western division of the county, Gallow hundred, Walsingham union and county court district, and rural deanery, archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich.

The church of St. Andrew is a fine specimen of Saxon architecture: it has chancel, nave, and south porch, which is of a very curious transitional Norman character, having a stilted horseshoe arch, under which is a pointed one ornamented with zigzags, and under this again the round arch of the door, with shafts in the jambs, having sculptured capitals: the tower is round, and is detached about 6 or 7 feet from the west end: the font is late Norman, ornamented with sculptured foliage.

The register dates from the year 1559.

The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of East Barsham, joint yearly value £645, in the gift of Lord Hastings, and held by the Rev. Frederic William Kent, M.A., of St. John’s College, Cambridge. The poor have £22 yearly, rent of 8A. 3R. 5P. of land; also 20 acres to cut for fuel. The Primitive Methodists have a place of.worship here.

Lord Hastings is lord of the manor and chief landowner.

The soil is various; subsoil, clay. The land is cultivated on the usual four-course system. The area is 1,524 acres; rateable value, £2,298; the population in 1871 was 250.

Parish Clerk, Joseph Cooper.

Letters are received through Fakenham, which is the nearest money order office. .

Banyard William
shoe maker & keeper
Gulder John
Hall Henry
Hill Charles
shoe maker
Howell Maria (Mrs.)
The Bell
Nickalls Charles
blacksmIth, wheel-wright & shopkeeper
Powell Nicholas
Shaw Frederic
The Green Man
Sherringham Robert
farmer & game-keeper to Lord Hastings
Tuck William
horse breaker
Tuddenham John

Image Gallery

Find your ancestors in Norfolk Parish Registers and Records for Norfolk Ancestors and Genealogy for Norfolk The Family Trees of Norfolk Church Records of Gt & Lt Snoring Norfolk Great Snoring Memorial Inscriptions


The Snoring Villages: a website for those researching their family trees, and for anybody curious about the history and whereabouts of these two small villages in Norfolk, UK.

Contact The Snorings

I no longer live in Norfolk. I cannot visit graves, make local enquiries or provide contacts for you. Please be aware that I have no information other than that on this website..

Address: Derbyshire, England
Telephone: Unavailable
E-mail: tricia (at)